Islamists destroyed Jewish Gaza carving in 1980s

 The erasure of the Jewish history of ‘Palestine’ is a feature of the delegitimisation campaign being conducted against Israel and Jews in the region. A case in point is the destruction of a stone carving which once belonged to an ancient Gaza synagogue, according to Emet Mi’ Tziyon blog (with thanks: Eliyahu):

One notable case is that of a Jewish inscription in the Hebrew and Greek
alphabets that still existed as recently as 20 years ago but has since
been destroyed, apparently by Islamic fanatics shortly after the start
of the hate movement called the First Intifada [according to Haggai Huberman; the first “intifada” started in December 1987].

This
stone carving was found in 1870, apparently by British travelers. It
was discovered in the Great Mosque of Gaza on a stone column which was
the upper tier of a double-tiered support for the roof and walls of the
mosque.

The mosque structure was originally a Crusader church, built
after Baldwin I, the Crusader king of Jerusalem, decided to rebuild the
city in 1149, after it had lain in ruins since before the Crusader
conquest as a result of wars between Seljuk Turks and other Muslim
factions, or may have been destroyed at some point by the Crusaders
themselves [according to Michael Avi-Yonah].

In this light, it would
seem that the Crusaders re-used parts –including pillars– of wrecked
earlier buildings that were lying around in the ruined city. The Hebrew
and Greek inscriptions together with the decorating medallion/wreath,
described by Hershel Shanks as “Hellenistic,” indicate that the pillar
was part of a synagogue built during the late Roman or the Byzantine
periods. The Hebrew and Greek are identical in meaning. They are a man’s
name, Hananyah son of Jacob,

Hananyah bar Ya`aqob [in Hebrew writing חנניה בר יעקב ]. The Greek inscription is Anania giyo Iako, meaning the same thing. Giyo [in today’s Greek yiyo] means son or son of. Other features of the bas-relief include a seven-branched, three-footed menorah, a shofar [used in the synagogues on Rosh haShanah and Yom Kippur], an etrog [citron] and a lulav [palm frond].

Note that the Hebrew inscription uses the Aramaic word bar בר, meaning son or son of, instead of the usual Hebrew word ben
בן. Aramaic was the predominant spoken language of the Jews in Israel
in the late Roman and Byzantine periods. Hananyah was probably a major
donor to building the synagogue, and he was honored with a stone carving
in his name, just as Jews today honor major donors with stone or metal
plaques in synagogues.

Read post in full

The long Jewish history of Gaza

One Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

About

This website is dedicated to preserving the memory of the near-extinct Jewish communities, of the Middle East and North Africa, documenting the stories of the Jewish refugees and their current struggle for recognition and restitution.

Point of No Return

Jewish Refugees from Arab and Muslim Countries

One-stop blog on the Middle East's
forgotten Jewish refugees - updated daily.